Code of conduct
We hold ourselves to
In booking any interpreting service with PAB Languages, please be assured that we hold high ethical and professional standards. We expect all of our interpreters to fully understand and adhere to the following code of conduct, without exception:
Interpreters must adhere to standards of confidential communication
- The Interpreter should speak in the first person, not altering, omitting or changing anything which is said by the client.
- If the Interpreter does not feel entirely capable of successfully fulfilling the service in full, they must immediately convey this to all parties present and if this cannot be resolved, they must withdraw from the session immediately. In such a case, PAB Languages Centre Ltd must be notified immediately in order to arrange for a person with more experience in that field to be sourced for the Client.
- At no point should the Interpreter give his / her opinion, reactions or judgment relating to the subject matter in any way.
- Interpreters should at no time discriminate based upon gender, sexuality, colour, ethnic origin, financial background, health (including HIV status), disability, religion, nationality or membership of any political or social group.
- In the case of court Interpretation, no Interpreter shall render services in any matter in which the interpreter is a potential witness, associate, friend, or relative of a contending party, unless a specific exception is allowed by the appointing authority for a good cause noted on the record. Neither shall the interpreter serve in any matter in which the interpreter has an interest, financial or otherwise, in the outcome.
- Except in the interpreter’s official capacity, the Interpreter shall not discuss, report, or comment upon a matter in which the he/she serves as interpreter.
- Interpreters are asked to be reliable and punctual at all times and contact PAB Languages Centre Ltd immediately if the possibility of being late to the session arises.
- Interpreters should have all claim customer forms signed by the Customer to verify the actual hours of interpreting carried out.
- Weekly reports must be completed fully and accurately (including totals). All Interpreters should ensure that all such forms reach PAB Languages Centre Ltd within one week.
- At no time should the interpreter attempt to give out their personal number or the number of another company to the client. All contact between clients and our interpreters is through the PAB Languages Centre Ltd alone.