PAB Languages logo PAB Languages logo

Award-winning translation and localisation services

USA flag icon Poland flag icon

How to translate non-English documents as part of the UK immigration and visa application process.

2 June 2021 · Martyna Gorska

How to translate non-English documents as part of the UK immigration and visa application process.

Restrictions on global movement imposed by various countries in response to the coronavirus pandemic are creating significant immigration law challenges for UK employers and sponsoring universities.

Visa and Immigration services remain open as these are considered an essential public service and will continue to operate safely under local and national restrictions.

If your client or employee decides to stay in the UK, they should apply for the necessary leave to remain in order to regularise their stay.

There are many different types of UK passport applications and a variety of immigration and visa services available. Applicants will be required to present different types of documents, and some of those documents may require a certified translation if they are not issued in English.

When a document written in a foreign language is submitted in support of a passport application, it should be submitted with an English translation attached to it. It should also be provided by a translator registered with an official organisation, such as the Institute of Linguists or the Institute of Translation & Interpreting, or a translator who is employed by a recognised translation company and a member of the Association of Translation Companies.

The UK passport office also requires that your translated documents clearly display a confirmation of the following information:

  • That it is a ‘true and accurate translation of the original document’
  • The date of the translation
  • The full name and contact details of the translator or a representative of the translation company.

An official translation prepared overseas may be accepted, provided the examiner is satisfied that the translator is a member of an official body in their own country, or where the translation has been certified as a true copy by the relevant Foreign Embassy.

To summarise, if a document that forms part of the UK passport or visa application is not issued in the English language, it will need a certified translation. Regardless of how basic the document, language or application is, it will require a certified translation.

Why PAB Languages?

PAB delivers certified translation services in 200 languages. We have a dedicated team of mother-tongue translators who specialise in providing language translations to the legal sector. If necessary, our legal translations can be sworn.

We are a Cooperate Member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI) and a member of the European Language Association (ELIA), and are one of a handful of companies to hold the latest ISO 9001:2000.

If you have any queries or wish to request a review, please contact a member of our Project Management team on 07799772360, or email us at